2010-06-08

Words

June 6 Day 7 116 Km
Waking to bike, biking to sleep

Wake up early 5 AM, so it is cooler, and there isn’t as much wind. Bike as hard and as long as possible. By 3 PM I am pretty tired, hungry and hot. Looking for a place to rest for the night. Gather food, set up camp, get water, find a campsite, fix bike, and sleep. It really isn’t a very exciting life. Maybe it is Iowa, maybe it is my painful knees, or maybe it is me following a faded dream, but something doesn’t seem quite right with this trip. Day 1 no fun.


June 5 Day 5 116 Km
Who we interact with

This trip is more than sightseeing. It is about getting to know the people that live in the places that I am visiting. It is about slowing down and interacting with people for fun. Not because I have to but because I love talking to people about their lives. And they are all too eager to share. Today I talked to a hippy couple about the magic crystals that bring Rain at the rainbow festival each year, an older lady about how totem poles should be allowed in her town, and a man whose wife is dieing of cancer. He was crying as I left. I don’t know if I was an angel or the devil with the words that I shared with him. What I got from him as I biked away was that life is short and cancer will kill us all someday.
Camping in a five dollar campground. Did my laundry in the shower with me, and shaved my face. Clean (kind of)
Tomorrow -> more Iowa

No comments:

Post a Comment